Saturday, May 7, 2011

Do You Know What I'll Do? by Charlotte Zolotow

Do You Know What I'll Do?
Illustrated by Javaka Stepton, HarperCollins Publishers, New York, 2000.
Hardcover edition, 32 pages, ISBN 0-06-027879-X.

A doting older sister regales her brother with a series of endearing promises to shower him with love and affection in many small ways throughout their lives together. The text takes the form of a rhythmic question and answer:

"Do you know what I'll do when it snows? I'll make you a snowman....
Do you know what I'll do at the seashore? I'll bring you a shell to hold the sound of the sea."

The boldly-colored 3-dimensional painted wood and fabric collages stand out against the stark white pages of the book. The emotional bond between the characters is evident not only in their expressions, but in their intertwined intimacy.

This story can be used as an easy reader due to the repetition and simplicity of the text, but is enjoyable to read aloud at a family storyhour.

No comments:

Post a Comment